Autoire is a commune in the Lot department of the Midi-Pyrenees region. The village is set in pretty countryside surrounded by vineyards forests and limestone cliffs. it is a tradtional Quercy village constructed from the light stone of the area. Behind the church of St Pierre you can get wonderful views along the valley.
Autoire is a designated “Le plus beaux villages de France” – a beautiful village of France – and sits on a stream called the Autoire which is where the town gets its name.
History | Autoire
Autoire’s known history can be dated back to the 11th century. The village was under control of the baronies of Castelnau then Gramat Autoire and later became a vassel city of the Viscount of Turenne. Under this protection the city suffered little during the 100 years war, however when ruled by Viscount William of Beaufort it was besieged by the English who already had successful campaigns in Haut Quercy and ruled much of the area. The town was devastated in 1562 during the War of Religions by the Calvists and remained in turmoil until 1582.
Today it is a pretty little village which in spring is loaded with flowers throughout the streets.