Collonges-la-Rouge | Things to See and Do in Collonges-la-Rouge
Collonges-la-Rouge is a commune in the Corrèze department in the Limousin region of France. Collonges-la-Rouge is entirely built with red sandstone, its existence has been dated back to the 8th century. The village is a member of the Les Plus Beaux Villages de France association (“The most beautiful villages of France”) and it is in Collonges-la-Rouge that this now prestigious association was created. It’s one of the most visited sites in the Limousin and for a small town has a great many historical sites to see
History | Collonges-la-Rouge
In 1308, the viscount of Turenne granted the village a right to high, medium and low jurisdiction, permitting it to govern the birth of lineages of prosecutors, lawyers and notaries. The space within the walls became too small to contain the entire population, and faubourgs or suburbs were created.
The Viscounty was sold in 1738, after the French Revolution which caused the destruction of the priory buildings, the village regained a short-lasting prosperity at the beginning of the 19th century. From that point its population slowly decreased and the village was tragically transformed into a stone quarry.
In the beginning of the 20th century, a group of villagers created the association Les Amis de Collonges (“the friends of Collonges”) and eventually obtained the classification of the entire village as a historical monument in 1942.
Things To See And So In Collonges – la – Rouge
The marketplace date back to the 16th and 17th centuries, and the covered passage is listed as a historical monument.
There are number of significant and historic houses in the town.
The ancient court of the Châtellerie 16thC
The town hall from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries
Castles, Hotels and Noble Houses
The Manoir de Vassinhac circa 14th and 16th centuries retains some fortifications.
Château du Friac or de Beaurival dates to the 15th century.
Château de Benge from the 16th and 18th centuries.
Castel Maussac from the15th and 16th centuries.
Château du Martret from the 16th and 19th centuries.
Manoir de Beauvirie from the 16th century.
The fortified wall dates back to the 14th century.
The Saint-Pierre church dates from the 11th, 12th and 15th centuries and has a lovely romance curved steeple which was fortified during the 16th century French wars of religion. The gates are decorated with a 12th century tympanum carved in white stone w and represents the ascension of Christ dominating his mother and the 11 apostles. It was hidden during the wars of religion and only replaced in 1923.
You might also like….
Things to See and Do in Collonges-la-Rouge