Eymet | Things to See and Do in Eymet
Eymet | The Bastide of Eymet
Eymet is a medieval town on the Dropt River and has been inhabited since prehistoric times. The Bastide was founded in 1270, by Alphonse de Poitiers, Count of Toulouse and brother of Louis IX of France. The village is situated at the extreme south of the Department of Dordogne between Bergerac and Marmande.
The Dropt valley meanders through the beautiful mushroom-rich countryside of Périgord to the Garonne River over 130km away, throughout the valley are medieval fortified towns, Romanesque churches and chapels, and a number of chateau.
Dordogne is a department in south-west France. The départment is located in the region of Aquitane, between the Loire valley and the High Pyrenees named after the great river Dordogne that runs through it. It roughly corresponds with the ancient county of Périgord. In addition to its castles, chateaux, churches, bastides and cave fortresses, the Périgord region has preserved from centuries past, a number of wonderful villages which still have their market halls, dovecotes, tories (stone huts), churches, abbeys and castles. Saint-Leon-sur-Vezere, Connezac, Saint-Jean-de-Côle, La Roque-Gageac and many others are real jewels of architecture. As for the old quarters of Périgueux or Bergerac, restored and developed into pedestrian areas, they have regained their former charm. A number of small towns, such as Brantôme, Issigeac, Eymet and Mareuil, have withstood the often brash changes of modern times. A special mention should be made in this respect to Sarlat and its Black Périgord area.
Things to See and Do in Eymet
The central square where trade has gone on for centuaries
Built in 1804 by order of Napoleon 1st, the present temple is a reminder that the Eymet area was a Protestant stronghold in the first half of the sixteenth century.
Maison du Bayle
This building is a a splendid house, which was once occupied the ruling nobility of the city.
The former convent of the Sisters of St. Martha.
The castle dates from the first half of the thirteenth century. and was a defensive chateau with gatehouse, walls, square tower and watchtower.
The present church was built in 1877 on the site occupied by the medieval church.
The mill of the nobility which dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries.